March 3, 2010

White Wednesday and Clapboard Houses on the bay ...

During this past year, as I have made my monthly trip down to the beach, I have been drawn to these white clapboard houses ... that sit off the back bays ... for the most part they appear to be abandoned ... obviously in a bit of disrepair ... peeling paint ... worn roofs ... and shattered windows ... all but forgotten. But still they stand .. a life well lived ... not falling down around themselves ... putting their best face forward ... they've weathered the storms of salt, ice, wind ... Still standing and still proud, simple, but full of dignity and grace ... like the true ladies they are. I can imagine how they have housed and cared for their families ... providing unconditional love and support ... quietly nurturing and guiding ...
Maybe they still stand in order to whisper a subtle reminder in my ear ... keep it simple, keep your family close to your heart, keep your head high and be strong ... storms always pass ... and you've been built to endure life.

Happy White Wednesday girls !! ... I'm off for some fun and a little belated Birthday celebration today ... I hope to snap tons of photos to share with you next WW ...

...oh, and don't forget this Friday is "Vintage Black Friday" over at French Cupboard ... it only happens once a month now ... don't miss out and gather up your VBF goodies!

 


18 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. Those little houses seem to beckon all kindered spirits to enter. I love looking at houses such as those and letting my imagination soar.

    Lovely post.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE these old houses. If walls could talk !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those sea weathered houses.... so wonderful in my book!!!
    Enjoy your belated Birthday time!!!
    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday!!! I love those old houses. Every time I see one I want to sneak inside for a peak. Then I imagine what I would do with re-doing it. They are such treasures.
    ~Debra
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know the stories that happened in these houses. Have a great time celebrating today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great places of inspiration!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful old houses.. I was just taking some shots today of one near my local beach.. Unfortunately here most of the old homes have been torn down to make way for McMansions .. it makes me sad really... These are true beauties.. lovely photos.. xx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. the way you described these old, worn-in homes really touched my heart. you have a way with words. stay strong...keep your head held high...keep your loved ones close..
    warm regards,
    ~*~*~*~michelle~*~*~*~

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful post. When I see older homes and abandoned homes, I often wonder about their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this old homestead....have fun celebrating your bday!!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet old houses...romantic and inspiring! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What Beautiful Photos.... You can almost imagine them filled with Love & Laughter in their days ~ just Lovely ~ Happy Belated Birthday too

    ReplyDelete
  13. these pics remind me of home. those houses are scattered all over the country roads back home.
    I always want to go in a take a peek at what might have happened or how the people lived. I just love that some places let their history sit for all of us to enjoy. Not like where I am displace now and anything older than 1999 gets blown up.

    Its Peaceful to look at
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are such sweet old houses. I love to look at abandoned houses and dream of what was. They no doubt were very lovely ladies welcoming home the little ones and a tired man at the end of each day, with arms open and lights on. They no doubt had a mom in the kitchen cooking up delicious homemade meals and desserts, too.
    I love stories about those days.
    Hugs, Cindy S

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great inspiring post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Lovely post! Happy WW!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful post Jill. Every time I wish for a house that is grander, I remind myself that I need to be thankful for the one that shelters me now. This post is really bringing that home to me again, so thank you for that.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. You think the same way I do, Jill. I live in a very rural area, and every time I drive by an abandoned farm place I think about the lives that were lived there, and wonder about them. It's good to know I'm not the only one that does that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment,
I always look forward to hearing from you!