July 29, 2010

Altered art ... what do you prefer?

What's your favorite genre of altered art ? ... a mixed metal collage of auto parts, a paper collage of vintage ephemera, a shadow box full of steampunk items? 

Mine is, hands down, art I can wear ... wearable altered art, as in clothes and accessories ... most so jewelry !!

 
This past weekend The Man taught me how to use the tile wet saw {I've only been asking for like 2 yrs now}... you see I have a zillion dishes sitting in my basement waiting for me to create with ...
I started cutting tiles from the prettiest and most intricate patterns ... the tiny tiles look like miniature oil paintings to me ... aged and cracked with a perfect patina.

I gathered various vintage and antique elements to embellish my mini tile canvas' ... old keys, bits of tattered lace and seam binding, tarnished rhinestones, brass chains ... then soldered all the components together ... creating ... wearable altered art.

I managed to make six necklaces total and have more in the works.
These first six have been listed on Etsy.

I want to extend to my blogging babes a discount on my new designs ... you guys totally cheer me on when I introduce something new or show you something I've made. I can't tell you how much that means to me ... this is just my way of saying a very small thank you for all of your encouragement.

So, the price at Etsy is $38.50 each, but if you see one you are interested in, just send me a note and I will send you an adjusted invoice ... your price will be $23.50 plus FREE shipping ... a savings over $15 on each !!

I'm only offering this price here on the blog, first come, first serve ; )

 
SOLD ~ THANK YOU!

SOLD ~ THANK YOU!

SOLD ~ THANK YOU!

SOLD ~ THANK YOU!

SOLD ~ THANK YOU!
SOLD ~ THANK YOU!

Today I'm linking up to TWO parties, first over at the French Cupboard
Check out all the goods!



 
I figure since ALL of my treasures I used to create my wearable altered art came from a flea market or tag sale ... coupled with the fact that Kecia was my teacher who taught me how to solder last summer ... this post would be "allowed" to join in ...

and you all know, I'm all about joining in the party!

27 comments:

  1. YOUR WEARABLE ART IS BEAUTIFUL. THANKS FOR SHARING HERE. ANNE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this party! and I found you.....it would be fun to work together. I purchased and start using my diamond blade saw 2 years ago, I do love it.
    Your charms are amazing. Ciao Rita mammabellarte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, your necklaces are exquisite!! I love them!
    I would love to have No. 1, with the pink rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are sooooo beautiful! i have been planning on doing soldering for ages but haven't gotten around to doing it. your work inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those turned out gorgeous! love them!! awesome job =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I have a favorite genre. I tend to prefer things that are small. Like little treasures. I think there is something wonderful about being able to stick it in your bag or pocket. Good job on the soldering, it's not easy (and quite painful to learn!). I also love the tiles you've made. I've worked lots with glass but fear for my hands whenever the idea of a saw is suggested (i'm really accident prone, haha). But they are divine! May I suggest a post with your most favorite jewelry pieces? I'd love to see what you'd pick out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just lovely, bits of old china patterns are little art pieces unto themselves, and you have framed them beautifully!
    enJOY,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just Fab Creations!*!*! YOU are soooo gifted... Great Vignette Display Pics... Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so pretty, Jill. Love your new take on "broken china". You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Jill ~ me too ~ I have baskets of broken china that I started to make these with, but never got it right. Its a wet tile saw...hhmmm - maybe I'll try again. I do want to purchase one from you though. I need to look again. If you need some really nice broken pieces. Let me know and I will pack up a box and send some right over to you. Gorgeous as usual ~ have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They turned out magnificent! True talent my friend!
    hugs
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful jewelry pieces. I agree that the china does look like miniature oil paintings. Looks like they are fast sellers!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. yep.... I think I needs me one more tool to add to my studio hodge podge....a soldering tool! Your pieces are just stunning and I know if you are anything like me, when creating them it's like spending a little bit of time in heaven. Happy Friday and AA party. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...your talent know no bounds!! Yet another fabulous collection!!
    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh these tags are SO pretty Jill - there's a field where I walk sometimes that is littered with broken bits of pottery - don't really know why - and I've picked lots up. I'd love to be able to solder them into something as lovely as these - perhaps I need to get my son to show me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful pieces. I like wearable art too. I've been learning to solder, mainly with microscope glass slides. IT takes alot of practice.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for playing jill - love the mosaic soldered charms; you know we love our china, mosaics and soldering!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my good gracious. Those are beautiful. I love all of them. You are incredible and what a tremendously wonderful idea. I love to solder, but I must say I am not very good at it. I try to get better each time, but still a work in progress. They are simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I cannot wait until you make some more. I am going to try and buy one, but it looks like the ones that I wanted have sold. Heading over there right now though to look at all of them again.
    Have a wonderfully mad and curious day,
    Wendy from Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful use for those old dishes...they do look like mini oil paintings. Each of your charms turned out so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Jill, I love, love, love your new pieces and the way you photographed them is GORGEOUS! I want just a little bit of your creativity =)

    Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jill... oooh, those are just beautiful! I love each and every one of them! Hope you don't mind, I put a link to your blog on my post tonight where I showed my prairie gypsy belt buckle... I am loving it! xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jill, Oh, wait a second while I wipe the drool off my face!! These are just stunning! Soldering is one of the things on my "wanna learn how to do list" Thanks for sharing ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay...I am taking the soldering iron back out and starting over...maybe second time a charm? hehe pun intended.

    Stunning pieces...you have inspired me all over again.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jill!
    These are FABULOUS girl!!!!
    Wow...simply beautiful!!!
    Looks like you have a LOT of orders to fill as these sold out quickly....they are too gorgeous not to sell out!
    :)))

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's awesome!I loooooooove tooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment,
I always look forward to hearing from you!