July 14, 2010

Grab your supplies ... let's make French rosettes !!

I thought I'd take my first stab at a "tutorial" ... here goes anything ...
My way of making a very simple and pretty hand-stamped "French" rosette.


Supplies you'll need:
A silk flower of your choice{I like roses and peonies for this project}
Rubber stamps in a French theme
ink pad {I use waterproof ink}
a center piece, a crystal, a piece of jewelry ~ anything pretty that you can "wire"
florist wire
pin back
wire cutters
scissors
miscellaneous material, lace, scraps
Glue gun and glue

a little imagination ...


Let's get started by pulling apart your silk flower ...


Discard plastic stems


lay out your petals on something you don't mind messing up with the ink
and
start stamping, covering as much or little as you want ... going off the edges gives a nice realistic touch
{it's okay to go outside the lines here!}


Finish all your petals
and
gather your other scraps you want to incorporate into your rosette

 
 
I like to fold the material in half, cut out petals, open and make a small hole in the middle. Don't worry too much about size here ... just make sure your cut petals are big enough, you'll want to come back and trim them to your liking once your flower is assembled.


Wire your center with the florist wire, bringing both ends together to form a "stick"
you will gather your various petals along the wire.


Remember, you're working "backwards" in size ... small petals go on first working up to larger ones.
I usually do a "layout" of petals before I start to wire them ... this way I can change them to my liking without pulling everyone off the wire.


Once you have them all on and you're happy with the look ...
pull everything tightly together


and start bending your wire back and forth to secure your petals


wrap as many times as you wish, cut off extra wire


hot glue your pin back on
{oh, be careful NOT to glue your pin shut ... trust me, it happens!}


Take a scrap of material, cut to fit over ugly glue and glue into place for a finished look.


and lastly, my favorite part ... trim your petals to the shape and size you like
and then
start squishing and crumpling and rubbing between your hands


this will fray your raw edges giving your rosette a time-worn look


Fluff it all back out and viola! You've created a Parisian rosette!
Not too shabby, huh?


23 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, thanks for the tutorial... I think I will just buy mine from you though! Can't wait for my pink one to arrive, hope it is at my PO Box today! Yours are gorgeous! xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful flower. Thanks for sharing the how to's. Love it, Carol Mae

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial. You make it look so easy. I am amazed what all one can learn just reading these beautiful blogs.The Parisian rosette! is a winner.

    Janice In Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, how wonderful of you to share your creativity. Your tutorial is so easy to understand! Love how you've come up with this idea to stamp the individual petals, they are just gorgeous, and you know how much I love the one I have of yours!!!
    Have a wonderful day, girl,
    xo,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill this was great! Very clear instructions and FUN ideas!
    If only I didn't have to pack for our trip this morning - but the good thing about RVing is you can take lots of projects along with you! YAY!
    Have a great day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Jill Sweetie...
    Oh my goodness. What a beautiful tutorial. I can't wait to try my hand at making a parisian rosette. I love the petals stamped with the Paris logos and prints. So beautiful, romantic is more the word.

    Thank you for sharing this morning. I have just added more items to my list for Michaels. I can't wait to start shopping.

    Have a beautiful day sweet friend.
    Country hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this Jill. where do you find those exact rubber stamps???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post and great instructions and photos- so easy to follow. I am making a list for a craft run so I can do this! TY TY TY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girl you rock!!!! This is the greatest tutorial! I wear the rosette you made that I won from Debra's giveaway and I don't take it off that jean jacket. I may have to soon though,as I have a pillow looking a little lonely.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! This is a nice way to use up some silk flowers that have seen better days! The stamping gives them a brand new look and I like the way you've added them to other colors.
    Blessings,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill- Thank YOU so so Much... I loved your teaching- yours is amzing- and I love how mine turned out..
    Thanks for Sharing- A New Follower- Ill be back to check out more of your great inspiration...
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, what a beautiful idea! thanks for sharing the creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful tutorial! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jill, Your roses are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us how to make them. You have inspired me to give it a try.
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOOh love your roses! Thank you for the inspiration....
    xoxo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merci pour ce magnifique tuto que je découvre gràce au blog de Polly.

    A très bientot!
    ♥Bisous de France♥

    Miette
    http://lamiettebricole.canalblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great tutorial!!
    I cannot wait to try it.

    Thanks for sharing with us.
    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jill,
    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tutorial...your rosettes are the most beautiful I have seen.....can't wait to try this out.
    Happy day!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Gosh...your tutorial is much more simpler than what I was trying to make...thank you for the help.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I could do this *wink*, thanks SO much for the tutorial, I've always loved these Rosettes and admired them... making my own will be so much fun now!

    Dawn... The Bohemian
    bohemianvalhalla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. JUST found your blog, love it/love it. Think I'm going to have to stay awhile!~

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so very lovely- what a great idea and not too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this great tutorial, I can't wait to make these! Love your rosettes...

    xx

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment,
I always look forward to hearing from you!