April 14, 2011

French Grain Sack Inspired Bucket ... a tutorial

Here's a quick fun project to make with some old galvanized buckets.
My inspiration came from antique French linens and their clean classic stripes.
 Plus, I just scored a bunch of buckets at an estate sale last weekend ... only $1 a piece!
Gypsy junkin' tip #1
ALWAYS start your dig in the BASEMENT.
It's where the really cool stuff hangs out and often gets overlooked.
Gather supplies:
1.) Old bucket {the crustier ~ the better}
2.) Painter's tape
3.) Paint wash {I like a paint to water ratio of 2 to 1}
4.) Paint brush
5.) Stiff bristle scrub brush
6.) Polyurethane {optional}
7.) Various rags, cloths to protect and clean up with
 Start by cleaning your bucket nice and good ... although rust will enhance your outcome, dead bugs will not. 
Let dry thoroughly.
 Using painter's tape mask off a pattern you like, making sure to press tape edges firmly to bucket.
Perfection isn't a must ... we're going for a rustic look.
Apply your paint wash a little at a time ... it will be runny ... catch drips as you go.
For a time worn effect keep the wash light ... too much paint will look "heavy". Allow paint to dry a bit before removing tape {approx. 20 minutes}

This is my favorite part ...
Using an old stiff scrub brush to age and distress the bucket to perfection!
Make sure your brush is slightly damp and begin with gentle pressure ... you can always distress more as you go.
Pay special attention to distressing the areas that would naturally show wear first, like seams, rivets, etc.
Keep playing with it until you reach the desired look you like.
 Once I reach the perfect patina I like to seal the bucket with a light coat of satin polyurethane.
This is optional, depending on where you intend to use your bucket.
If sealed though you won't have to worry about the paint in a wet or humid environment.

 Here's a whole stack of finished buckets .... done in one afternoon.
I love the simple character this process gives the plain buckets ... looks as if they may have spent the last few decades sitting outside a beach cottage in the south of France ... or used to gather lavender in the fields of Provence .... ahhhh, a little imagination and daydreaming never hurt a girl's DIY project either!

 This last one I had fun adding a little extra embellishment ... a faux red monogram.
What can you dream up?
If I've inspired you to make a bucket or two, let me know .... I'd like to see how it turned out!

For more French inspiration check out the party at French Cupboard today ... it's buckets of fun!
... and Debra's Vintage Inspiration Party .... even more goodness! 
AND
A new party I've run across {via Fiona & Twig}
Photo Feature Friday at A Rosy Note
Taking photographs of my bucket tutorial was just as much fun as painting the bucket !!
Another party ... yay!
Springtime Craft Party.
xo
Jill

37 comments:

  1. A great project! I love how your buckets turned out and I love your imagination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you could take something as utilitarian as a bucket and turn into a thing of beauty. Love it. Now tell me how you did the monogram!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy buckets and funnels every time I see them for my gardens - I just love the look. These are finished in such a pretty way - one of my favorite colors I include in a lot of items throughout my home. Thanks for the great idea. Jennifer jennsthreegracesmd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors of these buckets. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this! I have 3 or 4 buckets just like that I bought at an Estate Sale. Didn't know what to do with them but I thought they were cool. I am going to try this this weekend!

    -Aaron {the girl with the boy's name}

    www.mudpiesandmarigolds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this idea! And I love the color you used. Must find buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jill, these are wonderful and my favorite color to boot! Thanks for the inspiration.
    enJOY a lovely day,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE those !!
    Thank you for the wonderful tutorial ~

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this, Jill! such a great color!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely project. The buckets look great. That color happens to be a favorite of mine too :) Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great look and I love the one with the monogram! thanx for sharing. Visit me and vote on my egg at The Altered Paper (see my blog). Thanx, Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a buy and I love what you did with your buckets and your daydreams.......picking lavender in a french field or on a beach. Love it! Thanks for sharing a tutorial!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful tutorial, I love those buckets, great job!
    Have a wonderful day!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I am so going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool is that? Love the buckets! See you over at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the linen stripped look to the old buckets!! I have quite a collection of them myself! Hmmmmm!
    Inspiring :)

    Thank you for sharing.
    xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  17. $1 a bucket?? woah....they look like $20 buckets now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a unique project!! They look wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I saw you mixing up the paint and threatening to apply it to those beautiful galvanized buckets, I was afraid that you were going to ruin them ... not so. I absolutely LOVE how they came out!! They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You didn't share how you did the monogram... They are beautiful - if that is the right word for an old bucket :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it!! I have a couple of these buckets laying around the garage with holes in the bottom so maybe I can do this instead of throwing them away!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely adore this project! I am hosting a Springtime Craft and Project linky party today and I would love it if you would particpate.

    There is a giveaway involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so gorgeous! And that monogram just sent me over the edge.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your take on shopping the basement. I've found things in our garage/basement that were overlooked. Great buy on your pails! Gotta love that! I love how these turned out! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I could see one in a bathroom with pretty towels rolled up!

    :)Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  25. ...LOVE IT!!
    ~ do you suppose I could tie on a new tin bucket on the back of my car to bang it up a bit, while I drive around town?? lol!!
    as I have not seen any of these around in my area, but am inspired and need an alternative:)

    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love these!! I have a couple of spots where something like this would look great. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. They turned out fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Ps. I'm hoping to stop by again real soon.
    xxx Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those turned out SO cool! I want to make some too. I am excited to be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those buckets look great! What a nice tutorial too :)

    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just found your blog thru A Rosy Note! Love the buckets~ Im your newest follower~ :)Rachel

    French Farmhouse 425

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the color you used. I have a few of these myself. I may just have to give it a try. Great idea to use the brush.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Been sort of cruising through blogs tonight and found yours through No Minimalist Here (Hope I spelled it right) What a breath of fresh air you are! New follower here - can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, very clever. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your buckets, your pics and the tutorial!!!
    These are just perfect. What great finds. Thanks for sharing your creative talents with us.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment,
I always look forward to hearing from you!