May 1, 2011

Porch of the Month ... May

Welcome to Sweden and the porch of Therese Martensson and family.
{all photography courtesy of homeowner}

Therese describes her decorating style as ... "... a mix of everything that is old-style and in light coulours, I'm very inspired by Shabby chic, French country and Scandinavian white. But I'm also very fond of the 40's floral style (love those beautiful floral barkcloth fabrics). My home is a mix of everything and anything but not modern. My stepdaughter says that I only have wretched things in my home. I'm an notorious collector of anything that amuses me or is a bit odd. Fleamarkets and yard sales is my market. I rather not paint furniture if they're not damage in any way."
Therese and her family have lived here for only one short year ... originally the porch was a "dullish brown hue and looked very dull, like a hole in the wall inspite of it's size."

For Spring, Theresa has adorned her freshly painted porch with flowers from her local garden shop.
Beautiful mix of pale color and texture ....
Perfect spot on the day bed for reading magazines ...

Simple and quiet touches of nature ... in the form of an iron bird , live plants, and a seashell.
"From spring to autumn we spend our lunches, dinners and evenings on the porch. We often invite our friends for barbecue and porch dinners. On warm summer nights, when the children are asleep we tuck together on the old iron bed and wait for the bats to fly in the porch chasing flies or count the seconds between lightning and thunder. I've been thinking of buying a mosquito-net to hang over the bed, then I could sleep there the whole night."
 Table set for guest

A cozy throw to keep you warm on cold evenings ...

A wind chime made of silverware and crystal prisms hangs above the table and chairs... in Sweden it is an old tradition to hang something dangling over the table.
Therese's home was built in the 40's ... however, the porch was an addition made to the house in the 80's.
The view from the back porch ... overlooks a meadow that changes with the seasons.
Therese describes the history behind the red paint ... "This is how many Swedish houses look like, they are in wood and painted red (burnt iron oxide), the most common color since 300 years and is locally made from sludge from the mine in this town."
You can visit more with Therese over at her blog "Linnea pa landet" ... I know she would love your company and letting her know what you think of her wonderful Swedish porch!
I think it's just perfect !!

Feel free to link below anything you would like to share about your porch.

xo
Jill

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that is absolutely beautiful!!
    I would love to hang out there and probably would have a hard time leaving :)

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful porch and yes it would be nice to hang out and nap on a rainy day or read a book
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! wishing i had a front porch to enjoy~ xxoo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! Thank you so much for posting the story and pictures of my porch. I'm so happy to see it here, good to se the summer pictures as well. You know the week after I sended you the pictures the spring came in full speed, the trees are getting green now.
    Many hugs and warm wishes! <3
    /Therese

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. Looking forward to having weather in the NE that allows for porch time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful room! And that curly little pelt, I want it!!!
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. after living in Sweden a few times, I love the Scandinavian touch! A lovely place to dream.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment,
I always look forward to hearing from you!