October 24, 2011

Waste not ........


Yesterday we did a little Fall yard work ... raked and trimmed back the hydrangeas, etc.
The blooms are still so pretty ... each year I save them to make simple wreaths to bring indoors.
 I take all my gathered flowers, strip the leaves ... leaving about 5 inches of stem ... and arrange in clusters of three ... paying attention that each cluster contains a well rounded assortment of color.
Next, using a thin flexible wire, I start wiring my trios together, all the way down the stem.
 Then ... I put the next cluster of flowers on top of the previous stem and wire together ... making sure everything is nice and tight ...
I keep this up until I reach my desired length or in this case used up all my flowers.
  Here's what my long garland looks like at this point. You could certainly keep it just like this and use as a pretty swag ... or ... continue to wire the ends together to form a wreath.
 This is what the back will look like ... the stems and wire combined will form your frame ... no need to buy anything extra ... LOVE that!
 Once everything is wired up ... I tweak my wreath into shape by gently bending and molding it to the shape I want ... then I leave it to dry flat to retain that shape before I hang it on the wall.
Waste not.
Want not.

Wishing you a creative and happy day!
xo
Jill

17 comments:

  1. Jill, it makes such a gorgeous wreath or swag! Thanks for sharing. Someday I hope to grow some of these lovely plant, but I really don't have a green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make it look so easy... and beautiful! I still have a few that I can harvest, the rest are in jugs and crocks around the house. I think I could fill my whole yard with hydrangeas, i just love them!
    t. xooox

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, I have hydrangeas left too, will have to give this a try. Thanks for posting the how to, Laura Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wreath! I love Hydrangea, it looks so pretty when it starts to dry out too. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect!I was just looking at mine this morning thinking they need to be cut back but was sad to waste the flowers! Now I know what I can do!
    You are awesome!
    BTW - I forgot how to "wrap" the wire. Sat down yesterday and couldn't remember for love nor money. I was thinking the entire time "She would kill me if she knew I forgot how!'. Well - confession. I forgot. Sigh.
    It's hell to get old...
    :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so beautiful..due to the drought my hydrangeas didn't do well enough this year to dry..hopefully next year I can make a wreath as beautiful as yours! Love it!!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Fabulous! So romantic looking. Wish I had a hydrangea bush or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THis is truly beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is beautiful, what a wonderful way to use pretty hydrangeas.
    love
    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! My mom has some hydrangea's in her yard and I am definitely going to be trying this! Thanks for the fabulous idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. GoRgeOus Jill... It's rare I see those colors in Wisconsin... Hope Na-Da was good for you...
    Jeanine Burkhardt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous...I better go look at my hydrangeas tomorrow morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really beautiful, such lovely muted colours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite flower. Love it! I'm following.

    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! And so is your blog...found your through Faded Charm and glad I did. I'll be back soon.

    Ciao,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! I just love this idea. So simple, but still so fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing this genius with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment,
I always look forward to hearing from you!